Thursday, January 14, 2016

"For we all stumble in many ways..."



A couple weeks ago we had a bible study and I was given James 3 to study. I know that you should be careful with your words and taming the tongue is a big deal. I also know that I mess up daily with this. How could I not? Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a talker and I will willingly talk to anyone if they want to listen. To be honest, I'll keep talking even if they don't. Just keeping it real. Anyways.... there are so many times when I say something not so great and that night I lay awake thinking to myself "Why did I say that?!?" Then I feel so guilty and spend the rest of the night worrying about it. I even go as far to worry about it the next day as well. Anyone else do this?

I always come back to this verse. "We all STUMBLE in many ways....." you see that? God knows that we all stumble. He knows we are not perfect and that we mess up. Does that mean that we keep on doing it and saying "Well, God knows I'm not perfect, I shouldn't even try." No, it doesnt mean that. 

"What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!" Romans 6:15


What it means is that God knows that we can't do it on our own. We need His saving grace to help us. We shouldn't stay up all night worrying about what we said. I feel like that gives the devil a stronghold. What we should do is give it to Jesus and trust Him.  He is the only perfect man who came into this world. God knows we aren't perfect. He loves us anyway. So next time you say something you shouldn't, go to Jesus. Ask Him for forgiveness and trust that He will forgive you. If you feel like you hurt someone with your words, go tell them. Ask them for forgiveness, tell them your shortcomings. You won't always get it right, cause taming the tongue is hard work y'all. But I pray that the next time you have a slip-up you remember these verses:

    "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body." James 3:2



1 comments: