Thursday, September 1, 2016

Prideful comparison.

Ya know.....

You're scrolling through Instagram because you are refined to a couch, nursing a baby for the 100th time today, you have spit-up on your shoulder, the house is a wreck, and you see that perfect mom with her perfectly clean house, her 9 month old is walking, reading, and baking a cake--okkkaaaay, her 9 month old isn't reading OR baking a cake, but you get the picture. It leaves us feeling inadequate and depressed. I'm so guilty of doing this. So guilty. There's so many ways that prideful comparing gets in the way.  As a mom it is so hard not too and it starts so early; a friends baby starts sitting up before yours and your kid is older, another baby starts walking before yours, talking, reading, etc. And boy is it hard to not compare and wonder if you're doing it all wrong. I caught myself doing something a few weeks ago and God opened my eyes to it. Normally when I start comparing I say to myself "Well, she's doing that, but I can do this and this and this, and she doesn't do all that" Now tell me, how is that encouraging? How is that helpful? I was purposefully looking at another person and finding all the things they do wrong and I do right.  

"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."  Philippians 2:3

Ouch. God sure slapped me on the side of the head with that one. 

So how exactly is one supposed to stop comparing?  I don't believe we will stop doing this completely (big shout out to sin nature) because I've messed up so.many.times, but I think the more we stop it with scripture the easier it will be. 

1) Pray! 

When you start feeling this way, ask God to help you. Because once you start comparing discouragement sets in, and when discouragement sets in, you better believe feeling depressed comes right after that. If you pray as soon as you start comparing, you wont go through the cycle of awfulness. 


2) God made me just who I am for His calling. Just like He made every one else for theirs. 

By the grace of God I am what I am. (1 Corin 5:10)

God made me to be me and gave me gifts to use for his glory.

 "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." Romans 12:6


3) Satan wants me to feel this way. He really does. 

He must feel happy when he see's a mom of four feeling discouraged, inadequate and depressed because shes comparing. The bible says he is the father of lies.  

"He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." John 8:44

Satan wants me to feel discouraged when thinking "she can do it all and I can't". Satan wants me to compare someone else to myself.

I think it's a normal to feel like you can't do it all, because we can't. We are not good enough. 

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone."Mark 10:18

 "As the Scriptures say,"No one is righteous—  not even one.
No one is truly wise;  no one is seeking God.
All have turned away;  all have become useless.No one does good,  not a single one."
 
But, you know what? Christ in me makes me good enough. Not only good enough, but justified and righteous before God.

"For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corin 5:21)."



So when you start feeling this way and comparing; remember these truths:

Pray. 

God made me who I am for His calling.

Satan wants me to feel this way.

I am good enough because Christ dwells in me. 

I hope this encourages you as much as it has me. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this many, many times.  




0 comments:

Post a Comment